Thursday, May 18, 2006

My position is changing

I have spent much of my time recently examining numerous studies comparing hospital birth to homebirth and other out-of-hospital birth. I am not a scientist, and I struggle to make sense of a lot of the data.

But in the spirit of intellectual honesty, I have noticed a trend that is disturbing to me. I have found the following:
  1. Comparisons of hospital births to homebirths consistently show a marginally greater number of neonatal deaths (that's death of the baby within the first 28 days of life) in the homebirth groups. When perinatal mortality (includes the neonatal rate plus all fetal deaths from 20 weeks of gestation) is calculated in, the mortality rates between hospital birth and homebirth are nearly the same. However, there does appear to be a higher risk of neonatal death in homebirth.
  2. To find these figures, you generally cannot use homebirth supporters as resources. The problem is that one person might have used the perinatal rate of homebirth from a study to compare to the neonatal rate of hospital birth, which might make the homebirth group look more favorable but is a misrepresentation of the findings of the study. Then other homebirth supporters quote that person instead of reading the study themselves. When I tried to research homebirth, I found the same unsubstantiated quotes used again and again.

I have said before that I am not at heart a homebirth supporter though I find myself in sympathy with their cause, because they oppose the hospital routines and invasive, unnecessary procedures I also find objectionable. But finding the above to be compelling and, through my unlearned, unscientific eyes, evidently true, I have had to look closely at my position.

Neonatal deaths can occur for a variety of reasons, but it is reasonable to assume that more complications can be addressed favorably in a hospital instead of at home, at the very least because of surgical capacities in the hospital not available elsewhere. So if you have even one childbirth complication that can be successfully resolved by cesarean section, the homebirth group is at a disadvantage.

Does this make homebirth unsafe? I think by definition it makes homebirth less safe than hospital birth.

My position on homebirth is much more cautious now. As a doula I will still support women who opt for homebirth, especially in my current community, because our health care situation is a sorry one, and our single small-town archaic hospital here may very well be doing more harm than good on the whole. But for myself, I find the risk too much to bear.

I support the birth center attached to the hospital option, and that is where my fervent support will henceforth be directed.

Perhaps once I am further along in my schooling and have taken a statistics course or two, I will be better able to analyze the data at hand. As it is, I am disheartened by what I found, but I am committed to being honest about what it says.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Homebirth frightens me...

How do you make the commitment to supporting women in their choices for childbirth when making a statement such as this? Generally doulas are not used at home births, but in the event you were contacted by a woman who wanted one for her home birth, do you tell her the truth? That you don't support home birth and are not a home birth advocate and it frightens you? Or is that bad for business?

7:27 AM  
Blogger jenn said...

Anonymous:

While I may not personally choose homebirth (I will not say that I am completely decided on this point), it is my job as a doula to support the woman in labor. I feel very comfortable with labor.

Where have you heard that doulas are generally not used at homebirths? My understanding is that many, many doulas attend homebirths exclusively. I am one of the few in my area who will attend hospital births.

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I may not personally choose homebirth (I will not say that I am completely decided on this point), it is my job as a doula to support the woman in labor. I feel very comfortable with labor.

I don't understand this.

Where have you heard that doulas are generally not used at homebirths?

I'm a midwife so I know this to be true.

4:30 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

Anonymous:

Maybe I should try to clarify what I mean. I began my approach to studying childbirth feeling very positively towards the birth process. When my labors went well, I felt justified in my beliefs. Seeing other women labor without complication has added to my belief that birth must be reliable, that women are usually safe when they trust in birth.

I am by no means a scientist. But I have been shaken by the things I have seen presented against homebirth, that say that there is a marginal but present difference in the neonatal death rates between home and hospital.

It is now a few days since I wrote this post and my stance and my feelings are still in flux. In my heart I still absolutely believe that homebirth is probably safer than hospital birth for most women (and I say "safer than" instead of "as safe as" with intention). This is what I intuitively believe to be true. In fact, I am in a dilemma right now, where I feel I would be taking a greater risk in having my next baby at our local hospital than I would be staying at home to deliver. I am having to refine my stance.

I have been faced with an argument from the opposition that I cannot contradict. And I don't know what to do with it. I can't incorporate it into my belief system because I don't know how. I practice, I work, where my heart is, and that is with helping women have joyous, incredible births. I cannot be a doula any other way - I have to be sincere about it. And, sincerely, I believe that birth is normal, beautiful, and works best when left alone.

I hope this makes it clear where I stand. Perhaps I should update my blog to reflect these things.

In my area most midwife assistants are doulas who are bridging into midwifery and are apprenticing, (we have a large homebirth population here, thanks to our crappy hospital). I would be very interested to know what your practice is like and where the doulas are.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my area most midwife assistants are doulas who are bridging into midwifery and are apprenticing, (we have a large homebirth population here, thanks to our crappy hospital). I would be very interested to know what your practice is like and where the doulas are.

I have trained many midwife assistants and actually find the better assistants were not doulas first. They have a difficult time switching gears from doula to member of the practitioner's team. I have a home birth practice and in my region, doulas are found in the hospitals. The doulas I have encountered at home births are usually frustrated they have nothing "to do" to or for the woman beyond menial tasks and I've even received remarks that it was "boring" when there was no one to protect the woman from!

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The data are really important -- I'm not going to choose homebirth in the future if something changes to make it significantly less safe than hospital birth. Because of the data, I changed my mind from thinking that homebirth couldn't be safe. If necessary, I'll change it back again.

She actually convinced you for a time that the home birth you had was dangerous? All she has done for me is bolster my resolve to remain a home based midwife.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home