Monday, May 15, 2006

How did you get to your present position?

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that our views are based on our experiences. We have emotional ties to our perspectives, and that makes argument or debate inherently difficult. Even if presented with evidence to the contrary - say, just for a random example, a study that shows that homebirth is more dangerous than hospital birth, that mortality rates are higher at home - those who find their practice meaningful on some level will not be convinced that the numbers are correct.

I originally decided to prepare for a natural birth because I wanted to avoid having a c-section. Most of the first-time moms I knew had had c-sections. So I did research on how to avoid it if it wasn't necessary. What I read said that the best thing was to allow labor to progress on its own, without intereference (like inductions, epidurals, staying in bed, etc.). I had a doula and had a wonderful experience. I treasure my birth and am sure that it was the best thing for me and for my baby. I am in awe that I actually did it - I didn't know I would be able to have a natural birth, until I did.

I support and admire homebirthers because they accept what I take for granted, that birth is a positive and normal event, that birth should occur where women feel safe, and that women are capable of amazing things.
I find myself feeling defensive of homebirth, because I am scared that the medical industry will succeed in removing the option, those of us who support natural birth will be silenced, and we will be streamlined into an arrogant, crappy system more interested in numbness and detachment than the joyous experience of giving birth. I am afraid that the trend is toward ignorance ("the doctor will handle everything for me") than toward empowerment. Even if "empowerment" took the form of education about birth plus the reliance on medicine, that would be a step beyond where most women are now. I resent the belief that "I'm going to get an epidural so I don't need to know anything about birth." There is nothing good about willful ignorance. When I defend the issue of homebirth, I am actually defending education and natural birth in the face of the message that women can't do this on their own and need the technology, no matter the circumstance.

What I wanted to ask was, How did you come to your current stance? Was it through your own experience, witnessing others' experiences? Was it in reaction to a bad experience? Why do you feel the way you do about birth?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home